Here’s a shot the chocolate cupcakes out of the oven. Yum! They smell just like brownies, a slice of Heaven if you ask me.
The party had a Cars (Disney movie) theme. The cupcakes were dusted with powdered sugar and colored sugar, alternating red and yellow to tie into the theme colors. Toothpick flags adorn every other cupcake. Atop of the tower was a trophy, complete with a mini cupcake and ‘2’ candle! Mini cupcakes were available from a tray, off to the side.
Here’s Ben (R) and little cousin (L), looking like they are up to no good! (Haileigh's in the background, checking out the gift table...)
1 ½ cups flour
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup cold water
5 T canola oil
1 T white vinegar
1 t vanilla
1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2) Grease and flour a cupcake pan or use paper cupcake liners (lightly coat with nonstick spray).
3) In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar,cocoa powder, baking soda & salt).
4) In a small mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients (cold water, vegetable oil, white vinegar & vanilla).
5) Slowly add wet ingredients to the dry, using a wire whisk to blend until well mixed.
6) Divide batter into the prepared cupcake pan.
7) Bake for 32-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
8) Allow to cool in the cupcake pan. Dust cooled cupcakes with powdered sugar