Thursday, April 1, 2010

Losing it - An Intro




Mary from Giving Up On Perfect, Jessie from Vanderbilt Wife, and Ashleigh from Heart and Home are hosting a challenge, a weight loss competition, a friendly healthy rally to lose the weight – once and for all!

I will admit it: I am late to join in on this competition. I had every intention to join, but like my weight over the years, I just could not face reality. So needless to say, I am not so much joining in to win as I am joining in to be involved to encourage and be encouraged.

My goals for the month of April include:
1) Completing 3 weekly training sessions for the Couch to 5K program
2) Getting into bed each week night by 10:30 pm.
3) Drinking water, lots of water, to the tune of 100 oz per day.
4) Counting calories daily and honestly to create a plan for May
5) Read my bible each day for 10 minutes

My weight is something I have struggled with for years. I was always the chubby girl in school. I remember receiving birthday gifts from friends and being horrified that my mom had revealed to others what clothing size I actually wore. Ugh!

It was my freshman year of high school that I finally lost the weight, traded glasses for contacts, and found my self esteem. Unfortunately, it was the year that a wedge was placed between my parents and me, which drove me replace my relationship with my parents to a relationship with a boy.

It was August of my sophomore year that I found out I was expecting – a baby having a baby…

I gained 77 pounds that year. I delivered at 217 at age 16. The weight came off slowly; it took 2 years to drop the 50 pounds to get back down to a healthy weight. From food to boy to exercise. I just traded the fix. I became addicted to exercise, spending 2 hours a day working out, jogging, following exercise tapes. Two years later I traded the exercise for another boy. I was in too deep. Again, I found myself expecting and announced the news at my 21st birthday.

And so the weight returned. From exercise to boy to new baby. My role evolved from single mom of one daughter to single mom of two daughters. The pressure of completing a college degree, making ends meet financially, and finding my way spiritually continued to break me down. Slowly I found a balance of raising two daughters. I mastered the act of educating myself while working full time.

In April 19, 2003 I recommitted my life to Christ. Such a glorious day!

Fast forward to November 2004. A new season was beginning; I met my soon to be husband and fell – hard. Of course, it’s also marks the season of weight gain. I think back now and wonder how it was that put on weight so quickly after keeping it off for more than two years. Since that time, I’ve put on nearly 100 pounds. As of January 2010 I had 100 pounds to lose.

Fast forward to April 2010. A new season has begun, a new chapter, possibly a new book. I have lost the weight I gained while pregnant with my fourth child, a son born in January 2010. Ideally, I would like to lose 80 pounds to get back down to a healthy and comfortable weight. I’ll still have more to lose if I want to find comfort in the scale. Until then, I’m setting small goals that are not driven by the number on the scale. Rather, I’m more interested in recreating a healthy lifestyle to include activity, food awareness, and spiritual growth.

Here is to a new month, year, chapter in life!

~Allie

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Allie, thanks for sharing your testimony! I pray that with Jesus' strength you reach your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Welcome to Losing It. Thank you for sharing your amazing introduction too. I'm glad that one of your goals is a healthy lifestyle. I decided to approach this challenge as a lifestyle change not a diet and look forward to your update next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole & Cindy, thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allie, you have an incredible story! Thank you so much for sharing it and linking up with Losing It. I have about 80 lbs to lose as well, so I know about small goals to get to a big one! I can't wait to read more about your journey!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, incredible story! Thanks for sharing it. I am also in need of losing 80-100 lbs and that's just to be at a somewhat healthier weight. Forget what that BMI stuff says, I'll likely never be there!

    Stay strong, you can do it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love comments? :)