Monday, April 5, 2010

Top Ten {Tuesday}: Workout Love




For my first Top Ten Tuesday, I thought I’d share the tools that keep me on track with my workout!

1. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ This is an online pedometer that helps me create routes. The best part? You can save your map and email it to a friend or running partner. Here’s my recent route, a 2+ mile track in my neighborhood.

2. The Couch to 5k Running Plan An online beginners running schedule, geared to get me running 3 miles in only 2 months. Tomorrow I start day 1 of week 3 (Yay!!!). (You can check out my latest Couch to 5k (C25K) wrap-up here)

3. Robert Ullrey’s Podcasts for Running Music set to the C25K program! Robert created a weekly soundtrack that includes cues ("Ready, run!" & "You’re halfway there! Keep up the great work!") and wordless music that keeps me going. (This can be found through iTunes, search “Podcasts for Running” or click the link above for a general MP3 format.) And this is FREE!

4. Shoe pedometer by Nike+ This beauty fits into my Nike running shoes. I don’t even notice it’s there! I sync the pedometer to my iPhone and crank up my music. The pedometer talks to my iPhone, recording my pace, distance, and calories burned. Now if only it was GPS enabled…

5. http://my.nike.com/AllieZirkle I can upload my Nike+ pedometer data, set goals for distance, quantity or even calorie based, and compete with others online. On Sunday I received a message “10 kilometers down. Now let’s see what else you’ve got. You’re off to a fantastic start. Whether your first 10K was a breeze or hard-earned, keep it up.” Now that’s some awesome motivation!

6. Baby Jogger (Summit XC) Double Stroller I Love Love LOVE my double jogging stroller! Pushing 2 kiddos, side by side, is no easy feat. This stroller makes my workout feasible. No excuses for lack of child care. Just strap them in and GO!

7. Friends around the world! @KelleighRatz got me interested in the #C25k program. @JewliaGoulia provides inspiration (um, hello! 55 pounds lost in 16 weeks!) And then there’s the #C25k tag that keeps things interesting!

8. Upcoming events :) 10 year high school reunion, 5 year wedding anniversary, a 30th birthday in 23 months… And of course the littles under foot who are a daily reminder of health and activity! Thanks kiddos for keeping me going!

9. iPhone Um, need I say more? This holds my podcasts, Nike+ data, clock, calendar, etc. This even has a built-in speaker so no headphones are needed! Hubby and I can share this device, listening to the same music and sharing the same audio cues. I love it!

And last, but more important…

10. My running partner, HubbyZ :) I drag him out of bed, make him run slower to keep pace with me, and take him sports bra shopping. What a trooper! In all seriousness, it’s great motivation to have him out there, encouraging me along with simple nudges or encouragement.

So, what are your favorite workout tools? Once you’ve told me yours, head over to OhAmanda.com to check out the other top ten lists of the week!



~Allie

10 comments:

  1. GO Allie GO! I'm so excited for you! I pray that one day I will be as excited about exercise as you are! So AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are such great tips! I just read your bio and I can't believe you even have time for running. You are superwoman!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, you're on fire with your LosinIt program. I wouldn't be surprised if exercise comes easily! I am thoroughly enjoying the c25k program. I highly recommend it as a starting point!

    Chistine, I'm up at 4:30 to make it happen :) it's totally worth it! My pants are already loosening up, after just 2 weeks. I hear most people lose 15 lbs in 2 months... My Hubby has already started commenting on the change in my bod' so i'll keep getting up at 4:30! ;)

    Allie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this list... I'll be checking out some of the resources you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that's a great post!

    I really think I'm going to try the Nike thing. It sounds like it really works for everybody who uses it.

    I love the C25k plan, but my knees don't. I'll have to work on this, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sports bra shopping? Now that's a good man. And there's nothing like a 10 year reunion to get your motivated! Good for you and I'm green with envy for all your technology! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My workout tool is my son. I want to set a good example for him, he keeps me motivated. Also, fitting into my clothes is good motivation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the couch to 5k plan. I started that one and was almost to the 5k distance when I got preggo with my daughter and had to quit because of morning sickness. This post may have just inspired me to take it up again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am LOVE, love, loving my cardio dance class at the local Y. The teacher is great, and I really don't even feel like I'm working out. My biggest motivator, though, is that I teach little girl's ballet at a local school, and being in a leotard weekly is a great reminder of, shall we say, the necessity of being fit!
    Thanks for visiting Of Such is the Kingdom today! It's a blog to encourage parents to rejoice always in their parenting. And to be honest it's a place for me to vent and show off and all that stuff too. I hope you come back!
    suchakingdom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use Robert's podcasts too! I love having a personal trainer in my phone! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love comments? :)